Alt-F freezes app (win2k)
Jan Wagner
2004-08-30 07:08:00 UTC

just ran accross a really bad problem...

I got as far as creating a wxFrame with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL set, added a
wxPanel (also with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL), and then two wxTextCtrls with
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL. No other components added.

The problem is that this basic app will completely freeze when Alt-F
is pressed.

Any ideas where the problem might be? Workarounds?

(using wxwindows 2.4.2 from a Dev-C++ 5.0 devpak, running win2k)

- Jan
Chris Mellon
2004-08-30 14:13:03 UTC
Post by Jan Wagner
Hi,
just ran accross a really bad problem...
I got as far as creating a wxFrame with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL set, added a
wxPanel (also with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL), and then two wxTextCtrls with
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL. No other components added.
The problem is that this basic app will completely freeze when Alt-F
is pressed.
Any ideas where the problem might be? Workarounds?
The only thing I can suggest is checking for utilities you might have
that do things like add global hotkeys or multiple desktops. Anything
that might install a keyboard hook. There's nothing in wxWidgets that
would respond to Alt-F in what you described.
Jan Wagner
2004-08-30 16:07:47 UTC
Post by Chris Mellon
Post by Jan Wagner
I got as far as creating a wxFrame with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL set, added a
wxPanel (also with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL), and then two wxTextCtrls with
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL. No other components added.
The problem is that this basic app will completely freeze when Alt-F
is pressed.
Any ideas where the problem might be? Workarounds?
The only thing I can suggest is checking for utilities you might have
that do things like add global hotkeys or multiple desktops. Anything
that might install a keyboard hook. There's nothing in wxWidgets that
would respond to Alt-F in what you described.
I'm running win2k. Without the wxwidgets application running, Alt-F does
nothing, so I'd think there is definitely no global hotkey set for
Alt-F.

Strangely when I _remove_ the wxTAB_TRAVERSAL's from all textboxes, then
the app takes Alt-F without problems. I can even add a menu bar with a
"&File" menu, and Alt-F works as expected, no application hang. But with
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL's added, the app hangs immediately if I press Alt-F
while a textbox has focus.

So I'd really suspect that it is a wxwidgets 2.4.2 bug, mainly because
other Windows applications don't hang if I press Alt-F in any textbox
there, be it a normal textbox, richedit, or richedit2.... (I'll try
2.5.2 tomorrow or check if alt-f hang can be stepped through in
Insight...)

- Jan
Robin Dunn
2004-08-30 17:26:45 UTC
Post by Jan Wagner
Post by Chris Mellon
Post by Jan Wagner
[...]
There was a bug when containers had wxTAB_TRAVERSAL but no children
could take the focus. (Or something like that.) Try removing the
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL style from your frame.
--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Jan Wagner
2004-09-01 18:34:40 UTC
Post by Robin Dunn
There was a bug when containers had wxTAB_TRAVERSAL but no children
could take the focus. (Or something like that.) Try removing the
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL style from your frame.
Thanks! That worked - after removing wxTAB_TRAVERSAL from _both_ wxFrame
and wxPanel.

So, for the record: while in 2.4.2 the tab order components need to be
in a container that can handle tabs (e.g. wxPanel), don't set
wxTAB_TRAVERSAL for the container(s), otherwise the app freezes after Alt-F.

- Jan
Vadim Zeitlin
2004-08-31 22:32:42 UTC
On 30 Aug 2004 00:08:00 -0700 Jan Wagner <***@cc.hut.fi> wrote:

JW> just ran accross a really bad problem...
JW>
JW> I got as far as creating a wxFrame with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL set, added a
JW> wxPanel (also with wxTAB_TRAVERSAL), and then two wxTextCtrls with
JW> wxTAB_TRAVERSAL. No other components added.
JW> Any ideas where the problem might be? Workarounds?

Does it still happen in cvs HEAD? Did removing wxTAB_TRAVERSAL (as advised
by other message in this thread) help?

VZ